I have five brothers and although we all get along fine now, as a child I was regularly and mercilessly teased by several of them. (I am certain I was equally annoying in their general direction as well, but that is not my point today.)
I remember one in particular used to just sit very close to me and poke me incessantly. It didn't hurt but it was just so obnoxious. Part of me wished he would just punch me once real hard and get it over with.
This is exactly how the small steady snow storms we've experienced over the last few days have made me feel. It's like a constant, painless poke. Not enough to be extremely inconvenient but enough to be totally obnoxious.
Monday afternoon I dragged my bad-backed, pregnant self out to the driveway to shovel the few inches that were there before my husband got home. (I learned my lesson a few weeks ago when I decided to wait until it stopped snowing to shovel and ended up needing to clear over a foot of heavy snow, I swore I wouldn't let it build up like that again if I could avoid it) It wasn't snowing really hard but just consistently enough that I had to do it twice before coming in to make dinner. Unfortunately, Hubby was delayed in coming home and by the time he got here you couldn't tell I had done anything. POKE!
So we all went out to shovel again after dinner and the kids were very proud of their hard work, but were very disappointed to find that it had to be done again the next morning before school. POKE!
My husband worked from home yesterday morning and shoveled yet again before leaving for work around noon and then again when he came home after 9:00 last night. DOUBLE POKE!
Why can't mother nature just sock us once with a giant punch of an overnight storm that takes us all morning to dig out from and then just leave it at that? I might prefer that bit of pain to the relentless poke of flurries all day long.
On the bright side, the sun is out today and things are beautiful. So maybe the poking has subsided for a little while.
5 comments:
This isn't related to the snow so much (although, yes--totally obnoxious), but I recall being dunked quite thoroughly at a pool by one of your delightful brothers. Made me afraid of him for many years.
Ah, trips down memory lane.
It's like it is genetically programmed into brothers to annoy their sisters--but I recently found out that I stopped some of it because I was unafraid to use my nails and teeth. I hate the winter in general (although I'm grateful for HOA snow removal and underground parking at work) but I seem to hate it less when it is white than when it is gray. But the lack of shoveling in my life probably accounts for that. I hadn't remembered to be grateful for that--thanks for the reminder:)!
Earlier this week, I was thinking about an event related to both parts of your story (brothers and snow). Were you old enough to remember the time that the boys ran outside in the snow in their underwear to do a polar-plunge type ritual? I sent all the girls to lock every door in the house. They stood on the porch in their tighty-whities screaming. I was so mean. But after reading your post, perhaps they deserved it.
Sarah! I didn't know you were pregnant. How far along? Do you know what you're expecting? I'm 19weeks and still haven't been to the doctor. Neil's going to find out the gender and see if he can keep it a secret so I can be surprised.
It seems like one of those "poky" brothers should come over and shovel your driveway once in awhile because you are hello, pregnant.
I can't think of any reason why you should not spend a few days on the couch with a good book and some cookies. Cause once the baby comes, those days are over. Enjoy them while they last!
Post a Comment